it is the belief in roses that makes them flourish

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Literature

I started the Brothers Karmazov today. It took less than a page. Yes, less than a page. I know the bounds of what I have to learn are infinite. But do you ever come across a person and realize that they alone have a seemingly infinite amount of knowledge and wisdom to impart to you, and that this knowledge and wisdom, though infinite is specific. It's centered, and concentrated directly on what YOU need to learn in order to grow into who ever it is that you need to grow into? I feel sometimes feel this way about people in my life. But somehow or other Fyodor Dostoevsky is, for me, also one of those people. He has something to teach me, I have something to learn from him, and when I have learned it, it will then lead me to learn something else.
   "As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too." Brothers Karmazov, Book One, Chapter I.

Why did he give the father, a despicibale character his own name?
He compared a marraige to a suicide.

Anyone want to read this along with me?

1 comment:

  1. I started this a while ago but never finished it. I will have to begin again.

    ReplyDelete