After spending a weekend playing "Parent" to some of my nieces and nephews it gave me a lot to think about. These are really good kids. In fact, I admire these kids.
All my life I've disliked sleep. Fear of the dark is common among children, and I was just like the rest in that respect. My parents would leave the hall light on and the door cracked for me. I snuck many an evening to see what the older kids were up to. But those adventures will be saved for another day.
As far back as memory serves, indeed I remember such a night in a crib, when fear kept me from sleep my mother would come gently back to my side and sing a hymn to me. It's probable that all children love their mother's voice, but our mother truly does have a soothing sweet voice. She painted for me pathways in the mountains, the seaside, rose petals, breezes, lilacs, and meadows. But most of all she taught me of Christ.
Now all of my nieces and nephews know at least one song by heart. I am a Child of God. It is our family's lullaby by tradition. A tradition that we all thank our mother for.
No comments:
Post a Comment