it is the belief in roses that makes them flourish

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Loving Kindness And Compassion

I threw away the most important essay of my life.


R e s p o n s e   t o   t h e   D o s t o e v s k y   L e c t u r e   J a n u a r y   3 0 ,   2 0 0 9 

The definition Dr. Kelly gave for compassion:
to suffer  someone else's burden with them until the burden is lifted.

  How  is  this  done?  Does  it  help?  Can  it  be  done  effectively? 
Especially   pertaining  to  the  burden  of  guilt.  It  is  not  a  physical  burden,  though  it  can  affect  us physically.  It  cannot  be  physically  lifted.  It  is  an  emotional,   mental,  and   spiritual   burden.  If  I take on  someone  else's  emotional/mental  burden,  will  it  actually  lighten  their  load?  Or  will  there  now  be  two  people  and  thus  twice  the  burden? Are  emotional  and  mental  burdens  tangible, do  they  have some  unrecognized  substance?  I  don't  know.
But  what  of  the  spiritual  aspect?  I  hate  to  separate  it  out,  because  it  is  so  intertwined  with  the  emotional,  mental  and  even   physical   (again   the   spiritual   burden   can   affect   us   physically).   But   I   think   there   is   something   special   about   a   spiritual   burden.   Because   Christ,   in   His   compassion,   took   on   our   spiritual   burdens. 
 Is   His   compassion   more   powerful   than   mine?        
  - undoubtedly 
 Can   my   compassion   provide   a   small   version   of   the   relief   that   His   brings?  
  -   I   don't   know. 
 Can   my   compassion   for   a   soul   make   a   difference?   Perhaps   my   compassion   is   similar   to   my   light   or   my   love.  The   reason   there   is   power   in   my   love   is   because   that   love   is   given   me   of   Christ.   I   can   shine   light   into   someones   life,   because   Christ   is   the   source   of   that   light,   all   light.   
 So   if   my   compassion   stems   from   Christ's   compassion,   it   is   a   small   particle   of   His   compassion.   Even   just   a   tiny   particle   of   that   pure,   true   compassion,  there   could   be,   would   be,   great   power    in   that   particle.   If   its   source  is  Christ   then,  small   as   it  is,   the   potential   to   work   good,   bring   comfort,   relief   and   peace   is   there!  Not  only   there,   but   strong!   Vast!   Deep. 
 If   I   pull   from   that   source . . . what   could   be   done!   So   much,   if   this   is  true.   Pull   compassion  from   a   connection   to   Christ.   We  must   be  connect   to   Him!  This   is   the   light   of   Christ!   Summon   compassion,    patience,   love,   virtue,   charity!   How   do   I   tap   in?   Prayer.   Something   in   my   soul.  The  Holy   Ghost  must   aid. 
 Maybe ,  most   likely   I   cannot   remove   or   lift   a   burden ,   another's   or   my   own .   I   suspect   only   Christ   can   do   that .   But   I   am   beginning   to   believe   that   I   can,   somehow,   lighten   someone   else's   suffering,   ease   their   burden .   Bring   hope . 


"People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives. 
Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies. 
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable.
 Be honest and transparent anyway. 
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. 
Build anyway. 
People who really want help may attack you if you help them. 
Help them anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. 
Give the world your best anyway."
Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment